Bonnie Merchant tells just how she made this darling pizza cake!!
"This is my first "food" cake. A little girl who was turning 8 asked me to make it for her. It was a banana flavored yellow cake baked in a 3" deep round pan."
1. I colored buttercream with burgundy/red/orange coloring to make the sauce. I spread it to within 1.5" of the edge of the cake.
2. I melted white chocolate for the cheese.
3. The pepperonis were made from strawberry fruit-roll-ups.
4. I had some brown fondant left from another cake so I made tiny balls and pushed them together to make small mounds of sausage.
5. And the mushrooms were more of the brown fondant mixed with white fondant and cut with the edge of a large icing tip to form half moons. I brushed a little brown food coloring onto the mushrooms to give them that mushroom look.
6. I then iced the rest of the cake in a pale golden color... Building up the edges to make the pizza crust.
Bonnie Merchant 2008 all rights reserved